Required OSW-C CEU Renewal Criteria:
- OSW-C renewal requires documentation of a minimum of 20 hours of Social Work CEUs with specific content and learning objectives in oncology, palliative care or end of life care content and learning objectives.
- The CEUs must be awarded within the two-year period after your most recent certification. For example, if your certification date was 1/1/2016 and it was valid through 1/1/2018, you MUST earn your CEUs within that EXACT certification period. There is no grace period for completing the required number of CEUs within the 2-year certification period.
- Annual hospital safety programs, Tumor Boards, journal clubs, Rounds (including Schwartz Rounds unless with CEU credits), team meetings, patient care conferences, staff meetings, and/or Cancer Care Committee meetings do not count towards CEU requirements.
Oncology-Specific CEUs are obtained in the following ways:
- Attendance at a professional workshop/conference which provides approved Social Work CEUs with documented content and learning objectives related specifically to oncology, palliative care or end of life care.
- Nursing and AMA oncology focused CEUs may be considered for acceptance if documentation is provided to show sufficient relevance to social work practice with documented content and learning objectives related to psychosocial oncology, palliative care and end of life care
- Complete approved Social Work CEU on-line lectures, webinars and trainings which have documented content and learning objectives related specifically to oncology, palliative care or end of life care.
- Teach a Social Work course in a CSWE-approved School of Social Work which has oncology, palliative care or end of life focus. For each credit hour of the class, 2 CEUs will be awarded. For example, a 3-credit course would be awarded 6 CEUs.
- Publish an article in a peer-reviewed professional journal or a chapter in a peer-reviewed professional textbook relevant to psychosocial oncology, palliative care or end of life care. Publications outside of the specific renewal period cannot receive credit in the current renewal period. For each publication, 5 CEUs can be awarded. A maximum of 10 CEUs in any two-year renewal period can be awarded for publications.
- Present a newly developed Social Work CEU-approved presentation specifically focused on psychosocial oncology, palliative care or end of life care. For every approved Social Work CEU awarded to the attendees, the presenter will be credited double CEU credit. For example, a presentation offering 3 approved Social Work CEUs would result in 6 CEUs for the presenter. This presentation will qualify for CEUs only for the first time it is presented, and the presentation must occur during the 2-year certification period.
- Public speaking, community presentations and any other lectures which do not provide approved Social Work CEUs DO NOT meet OSW-C oncology-specific continuing education criteria. These activities can be counted toward required community and program development activities.
- General topics regarding depression, anxiety, coping, complementary and integrative medicine, etc., do not count toward oncology-specific Social Work approved CEUs unless there is documented content and learning objectives related specifically to oncology, palliative care or end of life care.
Oncology-specific CEUs can be obtained from, but not limited to: AOSW, ACS, APOSW, Cancer Care, ACCC, NHPCO, NASW, ONS, and APOS.
Documentation of Required CEUs
Copies of approved Social Work CEU Certificates from workshops, presentations, webinars, etc., in English must be attached with the renewal application and are the only acceptable documentation to verify required CEU criteria for educational events.
- Copies of published articles or book chapters or a notification of publication acceptance must be provided for CEUs related to publications.
- Copy of course syllabus, including course readings, learning objectives and content, must be provided for CEUs related to teaching a course.
- Copy of presentation, learning objectives and verification of approved Social Work CEUs must be provided for CEUs related to presentations.
- Sign-in sheets, certificates of attendance or any other non-CEU documentation ARE NOT accepted for CEU credit for presentations, lectures, workshops, etc.